Aims and Goals:
- to maintain and enhance creative and professional international contacts, to promote experience and ideas exchange among film schools and film production companies, to reveal tendencies towards development of young cinema in different countries;
- to attract attention of film producers to the work of young filmmakers;
- to draw general audience’ interest to the works of young filmmakers;
- to draw interest to cinema art, to promote cultural and creative diversity in St.Petersburg.
Festival program includes:
- First Feature Film Competition
- First Short Film Competition
Best Fiction Film
Best Documentary Film
Best Animation Film;
- Student Short Film Competition
Best Fiction Film
Best Documentary Film
Best Animation Film
Best Production Designer
Best Animation Artist
Best 5-minute Fiction Film
- Cine-Parallel non-competition program
- Retrospective programs
- Presentation programs
- Special screenings
- Round tables
Conditions and basic requirements:
The Selection Committee is exclusively in charge of the competition programs.
Only fiction, documentary and animation films produced after January, 1, 2013 will be accepted. Production year of the selected films will be determined by the copyright on the carrier.
The maximum length of student films is 30 minutes, 45 minutes – for debut short films and the minimum length of feature films is 60 minutes.
Individual and institutional entries are accepted.
Entry forms and videos must be received before the 1st of July, 2014.
The participants should submit to the Selection Committee:
- Completed and signed Entry-Form
- Film on DVD subtitled in English/ alternatively dubbed in English or an internet link to vimeo.com, youtube.com etc. including a password
- Dialogue lists in English*
- Stills from the film*
- Picture and a short director’s biography*
(*on CD or by e-mail)
The list of selected films will be posted on official festival website after the 1st of August, 2014.
Films selected for competition must be provided in high-quality copy suitable for festival presentation in one of the following formats: 35 mm., DCP, mkv., vob., BD, DVD (no menu, regional code or protection), with English subtitles.
Such screening copies as mkv., vob., BD, DVD must be received by the festival program department no later than the 1st of September 2014; 35 mm. prints and DCP copies – no later than the 1st of October, 2014, depending on the print schedule.
The participants should assume all costs connected with the transportation of film copies on DCP and DVDs to the Festival.
The Festival Management will assume all costs connected with the transportation of 35mm. prints and film copies on DCP back and will sent them back to the addresses mentioned in the entry form within 3 weeks after the Festival.
DVD copies will remain in Festival Archive.
The Festival Management guarantees not to transfer or to use films for commercial purposes and also preserves a right to use 2-minute-lengh fragments of the films for the Festival advertising purposes.
The Festival Management reserves the right to select the film for a screening in the official “Echoes of the Beginning Film Festival” non-commercial presentation programs, which will take place after the conclusion of the festival in Russia and abroad within the framework of cooperation with the international film festivals.
One member from the film crew of the selected film will be invited to participate in the Festival.
The Festival Management will assume booking and hotel accommodation costs as well as the visa support for the international participants.
Travel expenses are paid by the participants themselves.
The submission of the entry form to XIII St.Petersburg International Festival of Debut and Student Films “Beginning” implies the acceptance of all terms and conditions, stipulated in the present Regulations.
Correspondence and shipping address:
St. Petersburg Filmmaker’s Union,
BEGINNING Film Festival,
Karavannaya Street, 12, Saint Petersburg, 191023, Russia
Tel: +7 921 792 82 63, fax +7 812 314 7598